Last week me along with my husband went to the wholesale market at burrabazar.Among the immense hustle bustle of the market as we wandered around to find out particular area where threads are sold,my eyes fell upon something else.My aim behind this visit was to get some thread both embroidery and crochet at low cost,then my eyes caught these,some juicy ,fresh,and green big chillies.So instantly decided those need to get some little space in my weekend snacks routine.That's it.I got some 500grms of these lovely big sized mirchis chillies aka Kashmiri chillies.I made stuffed fried chillies.And decided to make the Bharwa mirchi.
Bharwa mirchi is stuffed large green chillies or peppers. A popular and loved dish in Rajasthan. This is available as a street food too ,usually only batter coated and deep fried.But ,from the health point of view,I did a shallow fried version,which is also very tasty.
The stuffing commonly used is of potato ... but you can use a lot of other things as well. Just make sure the stuffing is on the drier side, in order to make the filling part easy.
I am sharing the recipe with all.
- 6 large green chili peppers or banana peppers or Kashmiri chillies
- Potatoes – 3 medium size
- Grated coconut -3/4 cup
- Chopped nuts -4tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds -1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) powder -1/4 tsp
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- 2 small onion finely chopped
- garlic- 3to 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves finely chopped
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 3 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Cumin powder - 2tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Amchur powder(dried mango powder) – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Wash and dry green mirch. Make a slit lengthwise in the mirch and remove all the seeds.
- Blanch the chillies in boiling water .This will help the chilli to get half cooked as well as reduce the hotness.[Omit this step if you are frying these with besan batter.]
- Boil and peel potatoes and mash them well and keep aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida powder. When it crackles, add the chopped onion. Sauté a bit till it turns translucent.Add the grated coconut,chopped roasted nuts and mix well . Turn the heat to medium-low and saute them.
- Add the mashed boiled potatoes to the mixture and mix well.
- Add the dry spices(turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, amchur powder and salt).
- After adding all the filling ingredients,mix well and cook for a minute. Stuffing is ready.
- Take the stuffing off the flame and cool it down,and then and add the cilantro leaves .
- Stuff the chillies,
- Heat oil on the nonstick pan,add the stuffed chillies one or two at a time depending upon the size of the pan and shallow fry them.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.